Wednesday 16 March 2011

Award title proposal

I have been putting off approaching this as I have been struggling to think of an appropriate title. I am finding it hard to think of something which may help my career as I am not entirely sure what my career will be. While I have a goal in television for the future, this may take some time and there are no guarantees that it will happen at all. Obviously I want a title that reflects this but I don’t want to limit my options in case my career changes paths.
With my training mainly in dance I felt like I should have the word dance in my title as this is what I feel comfortable with and even though I now want to steer away from being a dancer, I don’t want to forget my training which has got me this far. I also still want to carry on with dance teaching in the future so I am not disregarding it completely as it is something I have worked hard on for my whole life.
Having said this, I do strongly want to get away from being a dancer and would like to move in to television, ideally television presenting. I am aware that there may be a number of jobs which I may do leading up to this ultimate career goal, perhaps working behind the scenes of television in order to make some contacts and network with the necessary people. Therefore, obviously I cannot claim already that I am a television professional and my knowledge of this industry is still very limited.
In my inquiry I am looking in to how to break in to the television industry and possible ways to make a smooth career transition in general. I am also looking in to whether it is possible to make a transition or whether you have to start again in a whole new field. I do not want to limit myself by putting the word ‘television’ in my title as this infers that I have expertise in this field when really I am only just beginning to look in to it and as I say, I cannot be certain that my career will not take a different path altogether.
Therefore, after much deliberation I am proposing the award title;
BA (Hons) Professional Practice (Dance and career transition)
This is just an idea and I am unsure if it is too general? I hope that this title reflects where my expertise lies at the moment and how I want to move my career on in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie - if you want to get away from dance exclusively - what about performance and career transition? Might again depend on the inquiry you decide on...good thinking through - it is a seemingly easy question but making choices about the topic and directions make it a tricky one.

    ReplyDelete