Thursday 3 November 2011

My main findings in 200 words

When tackling the analysis of findings section I found it useful to try and write all my main findings in 200 words so I was clear which points I wanted to cover when writing it up in more detail.
My main findings in 200 words from data collected through surveys, interviews and observations:
·         Career transition is common among dancers (41.7%) of those surveyed have experienced it or are considering it- confirms need for inquiry.
·         Dancers feel the most common reason for transition is financial instability (42%)
·         Dancers feel the most transferable skills acquired through training are; communication, self, discipline and confidence.
·         Preparation in advance of transition has been proven to make the process smoother
·         New qualifications and formal or informal education are essential for a smooth transition into a new industry.
·         The biggest challenges of the transition process are accepting a new lifestyle and fear of lack of enjoyment in a new career
·         To successfully transition into a television presenter you either have expert knowledge in a specific field, be genuinely interested/ passionate about something and brand yourself as a personality not a presenter.
·         The main skills needed for a good presenter are; likeability, expertise, confidence, networking skills.
·         Producers are looking for an expert first and a presenter second.
·         The main pressures facing current television presenters are; age, image, the press, personal life, maintaining public support, staying on brand, getting work.
·         A presenting show reel should not be clips of you pretending to be different types of presenters but should be a ‘taster tape’ showcasing you, your personality, your brand, your expertise and what you can offer to a show.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie,
    This seems like a very useful evaluation. When I get to this stage I will use this tool, alas I am a little behind at present! What will be interesting is to decipher what percentage of each of these statements would be true for you...For example, the one about the biggest challenge is accepting a new lifestyle- how is this true for you? Is this the case or would you happily change your lifestyle in order to achieve your goals?
    Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Natalie,

    Great idea, I think I will also think of my key points from my data and write it down like you too. Now that you've broken down the key points you can write about each one more effectively.

    I also think a big issue with starting a career change is the fact that you are "starting" all over again. Sometimes it's hard to be a successful dancer and knowing if you wanted to be a actor for example, you would have to start from the bottom and work your way back up again. Sometimes it's hard for people to take that step to start a new career again.

    Hope this is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalie, this is an interesting read and a brilliant idea for summarising what you have actually 'found out'. Sometimes it can be difficult to actually discover what your data means. I will apply the 200 words technique once I get to this stage. I have just changed my career and yes, as Natalie says you do feel like you are starting again and there are a lot of risks and gambles to take. I am so glad I took the risks and made the investments I have made as I am now having the time of my life and in a really fulfilling job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie It will be interesting to read the draft of the critical review and see where the evidence is for these findings - who said what; often the findings are of great interest to the shared BAPP network. I have put a slideshare up for reviewing data on my blog if anyone is interested. Working with the word count via the blog a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.4dancers.org/2012/05/finding-balance-dancers-on-coping-with-injury/

    I know you may not be looking into this anymore but I saw this article and thought of you and transitional journeys that a dancer may take. Hope you are well xx

    ReplyDelete