Friday 17 September 2010

Professional profile

The following post shows my CV with reference to task 1a (professional profile). I found this task particularly helpful as it helped me look at my existing CV much more critically and encouraged me to make some ammendments.
While I was taking a deeper look at my CV, I decided to do some research on the internet regarding templates for various types of CVs. I felt this was necessary because while I was at college I was only shown one type of CV template and I think that was for a 'dancer' CV. I found a lot of templates and infomation but there was a particularly useful article on 'The Stage' website. The main piece of advice for writing a CV that the article focused on was:

'Keep it brief, keep it relevant, keep it simple.'
Attwood, B and Byrne, J, 2010, How to Guides: Write a CV , The stage Newspaper Limited. Available from http://www.thestage.co.uk/connect/howto/writecv.php (accessed 17th September 2010)

I also thought this would be a good opportunity to have a go at referencing something for the first time using this system. If I have not done it correctly then all comments for improvements would be greatly appreciated!
So after all that, here is my ammended CV:
Natalie Less
DOB: 08/04/1989                           
Height: 5’4”
Hair: Dark Brown
Eyes: Hazel
Nationality: British

Education: Rowan Preparatory School (1991-2000)
                     Surbiton High School (2000-2007)
                     Performers College (2007-2010)

Academic qualifications: 11 GCSEs obtaining 4A*s 7As in Maths, English, Science, Geography, French   Spanish, RS, dance and drama. A levels; Geography (A), French (B), Spanish (B)

Dance and Drama qualifications: ISTD Advanced 2 modern (B)
                                                             ISTD Advanced 2 tap (B)
                                                             RAD Advanced 1 ballet (pass)
                                                             LAMDA advanced Gold (Distinction)
                                                             ISTD full FDI teaching qualification in tap and modern
                                                             National Trinity Diploma in Musical Theatre
Dance styles: Ballet, tap, contemporary, jazz, lyrical, hip hop, partner work
Singing: Alto
Vocal range: Bottom E to top B
Other skills : Full clean UK driving licence
                         Skiing
                        Advanced modern foreign language skills
Performance experience:
May 2010
Valerie
‘Smile’ the musical
Directed by Simon Adkins
April 2010
Cabaret dancer
Daisy ball, Grosvenor House
Directed by Brian Rogers
February 2010
Judge Helen Gurie
‘Vernon God Little’
Directed by Simon James Green
January 2010
Singer
Kander and Ebb compilation musical
Directed by Simon Adkins
November 2009
Dancer
‘Got to Dance’ Sky 1 indent
Choreographed by Adrian Gas











7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the stage link, I'm going to check it out now. My agent created my CV and I've never even thought about whether it could be improved. I've always just assumed that it's fine. Not any more. You're CV looks great and I think you've done a really good job in exhibiting your skills and talents. I think it would be great if you could try and incorporate some of that into your profile. Try and sell yourself more by describing your skills. I don't think it'll come across as arrogant, just confident. There is a big section in the middle where it almost seems like you say that you didn't get much out of college. I bet that isn't the case at all so tell us what you did get out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, the use of the chart to list your past work is very easy on the eye and I also use a similar format. Depending on what type of job you are going for, you might want to add any additional accents you have or dialect other than English that you speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments, it is very reassuring to know that my cv looks ok. I will definately go and incorporate some of it in to my profile now and I completly agree that I am not really selling myself in my profile. Also, thank you for the accent advice, I will definately add it to my cv if I am sending it off for a job where it would be appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just read your profile again and I think it reads so much better. It is much more positive and shows your passion for what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the help. Glad you like the new version. Rosemary just mentioned something to me that's really helpful so I thought I'd pass it on. She said that one of the good things about blogging is being able to link it to other sites. So for example when you mention a show you've done or a college you've trained at you could link it to the websites of those things. I'm gonna try and do it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Natalie, the other post that I wrote seemed to dissapear so I will write it again. I have just read the link you gave about C.V writing and found the information very useful. I think that the motto 'Keep it brief, keep it relevant, keep it simple' is key to writing a good C.V and is explanied very well in the link provided. I really enjoyed reading your C.V and found it clear, concise and easy to read. After reading the link you gave the one thing that I would say is that you may wish to take off the primary and secondary schools which you attended as employers will be more interested in the place you trained at. It will also allow you to have more room for performance experience.

    Please feel free to comment and give feedback on my C.V which is posted on my blog.

    ReplyDelete