Monday 27 September 2010

Response to Paula's blog on reputaion

I have just read Paula's post on the importance of reputation and I found it so interesting and informative that I thought I would write my own post about it. I also thought this would be a good oppertunity to practice putting a link on a word as this is something I have never done before. I would never even have thought to do it if Mark Iles had not suggested it to me. It is such a clever idea as it makes it so much easier to get involved as you can go directly to a site or a blog that the person has mentioned without having to search on the internet to find it.

Going back to Paula's piece, I couldn't agree more. Even if we don't realise it, we base some of our opinion on someone's reputation and the opinion that others have of that person. Subconsciously I have come to rely on the people who have been commenting on my blog and actively posting on their own blog. Even though I did not consciously make a decision I have now formed an opinion that they are reliable people just because they are involved.

When I have received comments on my blog I have found it so much more helpful than I thought I would. At first I found the idea of having an 'online relationship' with someone a bit strange, but now I realise that it is not strange at all and in fact adds a new dimension to the way you talk to that person and the way you view them.

When we meet someone in person we are so influenced by the way the look, their physicality and their mannerisms. However, when you are talking to someone via their blog you are forced to judge them on different qualities and it is these qualities which help you form your opinion of them and if and when I see some of the people in person again I will view them with a completly different mindset.

I think that communication via the internet allows a lot of barriers to be let down that we have when we meet people in person for the first time. There is much less awkwardness and everything is more open. I'm sure this is largely due to the fact that we don't feel like we are being judged by the other person as we are in the safety of our own home, behind our own computer and the person cannot actually see us.

After writing this blog, it has lead me to think  about the reader and the thoughts I had after reading it. I now feel like I need to go back and read it again, while also looking more in to the additional reading for a more informed opinion. I will do that now and come back with more developed thoughts.

Thank you to everyone who has comented on my posts so far, it has most definately been helpful!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie,

    Great post, i strongly agree with you. Paula's post is very informative and i totally agree with the importance of your reputation.

    I know i have experienced first hand with choreographers i've worked with having the wrong impression of someone, just because someone might have made a mistake and therefore their reputation has suffered causing their profession to then suffer too, and most of the time the poor person is not even aware of the reputation they are building!

    I didn't think i would like the whole blogging experience that much, but i also find it really helpful. It's great to hear so many people's views on all the different topic's.
    It is strange to think how relaxed it is to communicate over the internet as apposed to maybe a face to face conversation. When really is it any different? Is the other person not still judging us, just in different ways?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Natalie - I couldn't agree more with what you've said here. Welcome to Work Based Learning and I hope you are enjoying life outside of the 'Performers' bubble! If you need any help or advice, drop me a line!
    Joe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. Blogging has made me feel so much more involved and I feel like I have formed relationships with people already. Relationships that might have taken longer to form in a different environment. It really does make a difference getting involved and commenting on people's blogs because it then means they comment on yours and you build a rapport with each other. I too have started to rely on people and I guess that is how good reputations start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments and I am glad you agree. It is definately true that you feel more inclined to comment on people's blogs who have commented on something you have written.
    Looking forward to getting properly stuck in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Natalie, thank you so much for your comments on my album. It is so nice to get to 'know' everyone using blogging as an interface. I seem to have made very positive judgments of everyone so far! Each student is driven to pursue the BA course and it is lovely to think we are all starting out on this journey together. It seems very sensible to me that in order to sustain a career within the arts, we should develop our diplomas (I'm from Birds) into degrees. Perhaps that is a sign of how hard our industry is??? I could not even contemplate doing a 'regular' job and therefore a degree within the arts could open up so many opportunities within the field I love. Anyway, I seem to have gone off the point of reputation but never mind, just wanted to say hi really! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Alana, yes I completly agree. I don't think that a diploma is enough now to sustain a career as we seem to have chosen the hardest industry to be in! I also could not imagine doing a regular job so I am trying to give myself as many opportunities as possible within the industry. Looking forward to blogging with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natalie - I have read your post on reputation and am impressed with the level of reflection in it. Reputation needs to be both developed, added to and most importantly, protected ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Natalie. It was lovely to meet you at induction and hopefully I will see you at the next class. I must admit that the whole idea of blogging is a completly alien comodity for me and I am finding the idea of it a slightly daunting prospect. However, reading your post has made me realise that the only way I will feel comfortable with the whole process is if I bite the bullet and get stuck in. It is encouraging to see, that although at the start you found the idea strange too, that you are now getting a lot out of our blogging community.

    ReplyDelete