Thursday 10 February 2011

Developing a line of professional inquiry- creating a set of questions

I thought I knew what I would be interested to look into for my inquiry but since attending the campus session I have changed my mind! I realised that before I was just considering a broad topic that interests me rather than something that is more relevant to my practice and could help me professionally. It is also interesting to consider a question that possibly can’t be answered or may have various answers. Before the session I wanted to consider the importance of physique in the dance world and how this affects the health of a dancer and what problems are caused by this? However, since the session I have realised that I think I know the answer before starting the inquiry. Adesola suggested that it is not good to go in to an inquiry with a pre conceived idea of the answer or what you would like the answer to be.
Rosemary asked us what our big question is in relation to our professional practice. I realised that my big question at the moment is;
How do you break in to a new section of the industry?
I feel like I have been labelled a dancer because of where I have trained and what I do at the moment (dance teaching, cheerleading and fitness instructor). However, what I would really like to get in to is television presenting. I have been working on a show reel but breaking in to an industry that you are not part of is a real challenge. I have come across various obstacles so far which have raised further questions for me with regard to how you would go about becoming part of the industry.
Even though the dance and musical theatre worlds are definitely related to television they seem to be quite separate with not that many people crossing over between the two. However, I think that by researching the television world and what skills are needed I will be able to see how I can use the skills I gained from my training and from being in the dance world in to the television industry.  I think it is wrong to be branded as ‘a dancer’ or ‘a singer’ or ‘a presenter’. Why would a dancer not be able to be a presenter? Luckily skills are things that can be learnt or acquired and I feel that I personally have the ability to acquire the necessary skills to be a presenter. I just have to work out what they are, how to get them and then how to get in to this challenging industry.
I have come up with a set of sub questions to help me with my main question;
Main question:
- How do you break in to a new section of the industry?
Sub questions:
-What are the similarities and differences between the dance world and the television industry?
-How do you know where to start?
-Can anyone actually help?
-How do you prepare?
-Which of my previous skills and knowledge are still relevant and useful?
-Is it possible to make a smooth transition or is it like starting again?
-What are the pressures and demands of the television industry? Are they the same as the dance industry?
-How important is image and physique in television presenting compared to dancing? Is there the same pressure or does it promote a healthier image? What is the importance of diet and nutrition to a television presenter?
-What are the necessary skills to be a presenter?
-Is it more stable as a career compared to dancing? Are there more opportunities for a long lasting career?
-How has the image of a television presenter changed over time?


4 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie

    I'm glad to see that you changed your mind on your initial line of inquiry after attending the campus session on Tuesday. I was unable to attend but had given some thought to the sort of questions I wanted to explore. Similarly I wondered how important physical appearance/physique was but I now see that it could be more beneficial for me to explore ideas about my current professional practice that is going to be relevant to me now that I don't already have a set opinion on.

    I think it’s good that you are looking to expand your experience and I see you have started by looking at the similarities between your current practices and presenting. Are you aware of the website Spotlight? I am labelled as a Dancer although I have many other skills like you. They have a whole section dedicated to presenting I don't know whether the information on Spotlight might be of some assistance for your ongoing inquiry? I hope you can get some answers from this and I'd be interested in hearing your ongoing discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hopefully going to be looking into people's perception of musical theatre and its performers and how this impacts the training and work available to them. It's therefore really interesting for me to hear you talk about the gulf between being in dance an MT and being a TV presenter. As you say, many of the skills are the same so why does there seem to be such difficulty for people making the transition? Why does there even need to be a transition? Hopefully we'll be able to help each other out with parts of our inquiries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concept of transitions is one that the professional practice inquiry would work well with - looking at change and how to deliver change - so tell us about the presenting business - what is it - who does it- are there different levels of presenting - what are the competencies or capabilities - what should an audition tape look like? Have you gone to anyone in your wider network who can advise you? Maybe defining some of the points in order to look at the ideas in depth - where do presenters go for their training? What type of presenting? there was a recent article about ageism in the BBC (Countryfile) - that linked back to the issue of appearance. Is the BBC the standard bearer for presenting in the UK? What do you have in terms of information about transitioning this direction - looking for sources is another thing we are doing this module - do you know any presenters now who could fill you in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Natalie!

    I think you've chosen a great line of enquiry. Like you mentioned, this new inquiry is going to help you learn about crossing over from one line of work to the other, but I believe it will also help myself and probably many other performers!

    People also classify myself as a dancer (as that is what I am strongest at), but ideally I would like it to be acting. My ultimate goal is to be on the TV or in films. Once I have completely this degree course, I believe I might want to do a one-year course in straight acting. I feel people do not take you seriously when you are a trained dancer trying to pursue another career.

    I look forward to reading your developing ideas.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete