Friday 25 February 2011

Ethics and codes of practice, task 5a

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the campus session the other day but thanks to a few people (including Joanna and Jo) I feel I have been able to catch up on what I missed.  It seems that we are now looking at ethics and codes of practice.
The majority of the population abide by various sets of ethics in their everyday lives. These can be influenced by various characteristics and circumstances. Firstly, there are personal ethics which an individual may abide by. These can differ between individuals and could be influenced by; family values, religion and conscience. Personally I feel that most of my personal ethics are influenced by what my family believe in and therefore how I have been brought up. I personally have never rebelled against my family and have never really done anything against my parents’ wishes. I think this is because the ethics that I have been brought up with have been fair and I have been allowed to make my own decision but my parents have always been there to help and I heavily value their opinions. I also think that some of my personal ethics are influenced by my religion and culture. My faith is Jewish and while my family is not overly religious we abide by certain rules in order to respect our culture and our ancestors who stuck by their faith in order for us to be here today. My personal ethics just seem to come naturally and I don’t even think about having to follow a set of rules.
Professional ethics are things we may follow in a professional environment or place of work. At first I thought that these are things which I have only come across recently as I have only just become a professional but then I realised that I have actually been trained to follow these ethics for my whole life. From a young age at school we were taught to act in a professional way and abide by the same rules as the teacher e.g. standing up in silence when a teacher walks in to a room, being punctual and obeying all rules. We were told that these were things we would need to take with us to secondary school and then in to our future careers. These ethics have served me well and I have found that since entering professional situations I have used them without even having to think about it.
Again organisational ethics seem to be something I have learnt and been exposed to since a young age. At school we had to abide by the ethos of the organisation and there were repercussions if we did not adhere to them. This training has also served me well as now I do not have to think twice about complying with the rules of the organisation I am in e.g. signing in and out and taking a register at the schools I teach in.
With reference to task 5a I have come up with a code of practice that I follow as a dance teacher for children and fitness instructor for adults:
·         Always aiming to be punctual and start and finish the class on time
·         Presentation- appropriate clothing and footwear for the situation
·         Complying with legal rules e.g. having an up to date CRB check
·         Preparation- going to class prepared and having given it careful thought so the participants can get the most out of the time they are paying for
·         An awareness of the age group e.g. having appropriate music
·         Considering the health and safety of participants e.g. doing a thorough warm up and cool down and being aware of any injuries that anyone has
·         Complying with the rules of the organisation e.g. signing in and out, taking a register etc
·         Maintaining the ability to physically demonstrate
·         Maintaining energy and enthusiasm despite your own mood or circumstance
·         Being respectful to anything else going on in the building e.g. keeping music volume down if other classes are going on at the same time
·         Providing appropriate comfort to a child if they are upset- this could cause an ethical dilemma as you are not supposed to physically interact with a child, however if they are upset and in need of comfort is it acceptable to  give them a hug?
·         Informing a parent if a child is persistently naughty- another ethical dilemma as you don’t want the child to get in to trouble but does the parent have a right to know?
·         Treating all children equally and providing equal opportunities- again an ethical dilemma as while it is important to give the same teaching to all, do the more talented children need to be pushed more? How do you do this without causing friction?

No comments:

Post a Comment